Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Bierrocks....

Going going gone!

That is right, I became Sarah Lee or Betty Crocker or Rachel Ray recently, I have found joy in cooking as previously stated post. This time around I made homemade bierrocks, it was awesome and I had a blast. I took pictures of the whole process and if anyone wants the recipe or help making them from scratch just let me know! Oh and I did this for the Sister Missionaries as per normal, one had never had them before (her being from Mexico) so it was fun to see her try a new thing!

First you have to cut up your cabbage. I bought a large head and it produced way to much cabbage for the amount of bierrocks I was planning on producing!








I sat out the dinner rolls to rise so then I can flatten them (which I must say is good anger management if you need that sort of thing) I bought one large bag which had 72 rolls in it which you put together to make one bierrock so I made 36 total!




Ground the hamburger! I used 80/20 to make it easier when mixing the cabbage in to finish cooking. I also used 3 lbs. of ground chuck! My advice is to have a really really and may I say REALLY large skillet to do all of this in!



This is where I needed help, the skillet was to heavy for my weak wrist to lift and turn and sucessfuly dump the meat into the huge pan with the cabbage. Luckily my Dad LOVES to help in the kitchen, in fact I generally have to tie him down so I can cook in his kitchen, but this is the filling for the rolls!





I also enlisted the help of my mother, she was helping me flatten the rolls and then I filled them! It was a great bonding experience to be honest, I had a blast for once!






Here is the final product! I baked them for about 16 minutes upwards to 18-20 at max. They came out golden brown, this picture doesn't really do it justice, but they were AWESOME. I topped them off with a layer of butter to help soften them up!

Sister Montano enjoying her first ever bierrock! She was not quite sure what to think, but I think she enjoyed them in the long run!

Sister Gundersen on the other hand was looking forward to the bierrocks, I didn't tell them for sure I was doing it, I hinted. But alas, she said her whole mission people had promised to make homemade bierrocks and never did or did after she left, so she was very happy!

2 comments:

Jeff and Heather said...

you just made me very, VERY hungry. please send me the recipe!! :) can you believe that nobody up here has ever HEARD of bierrocks?!

Heather Morgan said...

Uhhhhh, you never made me those when I was a little missionary there!! And, I have never even heard of them!! Hey, I'm from Idaho remember?